Sunday 3 April 2011

Evaluation Question 7

I beleive that what I've learnt since doing the Prelim task, is to film more than you need, if it doesn't look 100 percent like you want, you can always film it again and again, then during post production you can pick the best shot you've taken by comparing them with the others.

Also I've learnt to grasp the 180 degree rule, it caught my group out a couple of time during the Prelim task (The Plot Thickens! 0:31 - 0:36), but I beleive we've managed to adhere to it in the coursework. The importance of not breaking the 180 degree rule, is that it makes the footage seem at lot more beleivable and less disorientating to the audience. But during the point of view shot in our piece (1:39 - 1:45), we had leverage to break the rule, as it was the way the character was looking at things.

I beleive the shot reverse shot rule has been applied perfectly well in the Prelims (Me and Myself 1:01 -1:04 ; The Plot Thicken! 0:31 - 0:36 ) but I can't find any use of it in the final task.

Also because of the changes we had to make for the "Definitive Cut" of our coursework there is a continuity error (1:33 - 1:35), however this isn't present in our "Rough Edit" (1:45 - 1:50). Plus in our Prelim "The Plot Thickens!" at 0:55, there's a continuity error as the chair wasn't there in the shot at 0:54. So in one respect I beleive we have learned about continuity mistakes from our Prelim, but the time limit forced our hand into creating one in our final piece.

The Match on action rule has been adhered to in the Prelims, in "The Plot Thickens!" Josh has his right hand on the door and has just opened it (0:07), then we see him walk through the door from 0:08 -0:09 with his right hand on the door handle. While in "Me and Myself" at 1:33 we see me put my left hand on the door handle, and at 1:34 we see me open the door with my left hand on the handle. In "The Kickables - Definitive Cut", Matt puts his lightsaber into his right hand at 1:47, and we see him running with it in his right hand at 1:51.

I've also personally managed to minimize shaky camerawork for example in "The Plot Thickens!" (0:15 - 0:28) the camera shakes a lot, whereas in the "The Kickables-Definitive Cut" (1:15 - 1:25) there is little camera shake, except for during the point of view shot (1:39 - 1:45), but this is unavoidable.



No comments: